[squeak-dev] Securing access to the .changes file

Hari hari.balaraman at icloud.com
Wed Apr 19 17:48:48 UTC 2017

Hi Herbert,

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes I do want to hide my code, especially as
I'm encrypting communication from client to server (which is a whole other
ball of wax...), and browser, workspace, debugger use, are in any case
turned off so readability in the browser is not required.

That said, I think I have found a solution without having to dig further
into which processes write to the changes file from a filein or a snapshot
method and try to encrypt and decrypt for file access:

After I file in a update from the server, I saveSession and then use:

FileDirectory default
copyFileWithoutOverwriteConfirmationNamed:'samplefile.changes'
toFileNamed:'[imagename].changes'

I think I will have to first check for the existence of samplefile.changes
in the image directory, if it is there [if not, error and blow up the
universe in a fit of fury] save session, and then overwrite with the
sample.changes.

I've tried creating classes, saving session, replacing the changes file, and
then when I restart my image, the new classes are still there. So fingers
crossed.

Kind regards,

Hari