[squeak-dev] What to do if the update stream is broken? [was Multilingual changes...

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 24 14:24:30 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu>
wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>>
>>     no need to apologize (at least to me).  We all make mistakes.  I
>> think the information to share is what to do when one breaks the update
>> stream.  My understandings my of what to do may be incorrect but is
>> the following:
>>
>> 1. inform people on Squeak-dev asap (which may not be possible because
>> others may have found out before you :-) )
>>
>> 2. if the version can be done without then take it off of
>> source.squeak.org.  If you're not a maintainer, ask a maintainer to
>> delete it, otherwise delete it yourself
>>

> IMO this is a last resort solution for the cases when posting a new
> version would not help.

Right. Because unless a version is explicitly mentioned in an update map,
the updater will only try to load/merge the latest version. Hence the bad
version is simply skipped. This is a lot simpler than having to delete the
previous version.

Just be sure when testing the fix to roll back before the bad version, then
load the newest one.

- Bert -