[squeak-dev] Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 24 17:28:24 UTC 2017

> On 24-08-2017, at 3:03 AM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> a) a ready to go NuScratch image for download
> b) an updated SqueakMap entry which pulls in the latest NuScratch code.

It’s on SM as of February, tagged for 5.1. If you load NuScratch it seems to work ok in both 5.0 & .1.
You can also load NuScratchGPIO (only really makes much sense on a Pi, though strictly speaking.. .see later) and that will also load the base NuScratch. Or should, anyway. And that should load up the Pi Hardware driver stuff.

> Tim, on which Squeak version is your NuSCratch zip
> - 5.1

The zip is a 5.1 based release. And if I ever get to upload it somewhere sensible you can all test it out. And if we ever get to work out how come I can’t even request the webteam to pull my update to _projects/scratch.md then we might have a convenient link to it from squeak.org.

> - 6.0a
Latest code from SqueakSource appears fine on 6.x too.

Now, that ‘see later’ - the GPIO stuff is done via pigpiod, a socket based interface. So it’s quite possible to run the pigpio interface library on any platform that it will compile on (not tried anything other than Pi myself, look at http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/pigpiod.html
to find out more) and the daemon on a Pi somewhere remote and control stuff at a distance. This would be a good way to use a Pi 0W as a $10 head end and run the complex stuff on a more powerful machine elsewhere.

tim
Oxymorons: Religious tolerance