[squeak-dev] Unable to open pull request via GitHub for squeak.org website repository

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:02:44 UTC 2017

On Friday 25 August 2017 09:55 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> I recently started using GitHubDesktop and I find it obscures the git
> paradigm.  I'd second using the command line because it helps you
> unlearn the paradigms you have from other version control systems you've
> used.
> Search for "tips moving from xxx to git" etc...    And my personal tip,
> to help internalize the git paradigm avoid the convenience commands for
> a few weeks...

Very true. Git uses the term plumbing (core commands) and porcelain
(convenience commands). I found plumbing easier to understand than
porcelain. Porcelain is handy once you "git" it. The new vocab does take
some time to get used to ;-).

FWIW, https://youtu.be/MYP56QJpDr4 has a live session on git plumbing
(~55mins).

Regards .. Subbu