[squeak-dev] Emergency Projects (was: The Inbox: Morphic-dtl.1376.mcz)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Dec 14 09:18:33 UTC 2017

Hi Davis,

I finally looked at your changes. :) So far, they are reasonable. However, the mere wish for not just entering parent projects for recovery but any other introduces a complexity that I am not really happy with. The class var EmergencyRecoveryRequested requires you to:

- take care of the code for set/clear EmergencyRecoveryRequested across multiple methods
- makes the super call in #finalExitActions: mandatory, which is dangerous in my opinion and easy to miss in new kinds of projects

The whole reason for this change is that we think that programmers are not able to establish a safety net of different parent projects on their own. Yet, we should rather pre-configure parent projects for the next release so that nobody has to worry. Maybe the SqueakShell at its root project.

So, overall, this is a -1 from me here. Sorry.

Here is another take on #tryOtherProjectForRecovery:  What about creating a new project of a different kind? Or re-ordering existing projects as parents? Nevertheless, I think that we should just pre-configure parent projects.

Best,
Marcel

Am 13.12.2017 22:28:05 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:42:54PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 08:38:51AM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > I think that it wlll work with the most recent versions of Morphic-dtl.1376,
> > ST80-dtl.233, and System-dtl.983 in the inbox.
> >
> > I'll check it later tonight to make sure.
>
> Unfortunately I am not able to test the sound service, because I do not
> have sound output on the cog/spur VMs on my Linux computer. Maybe someone
> else can double check to make sure that #letTheMusicPlay still works. I
> think I have it right, but I can't verify it on my PC.
>
> I am attaching a change set with the lastest version of the changes, which
> may be more convenient that loading the MCZs from the inbox.
>
> Dave

If no objections, I will merge this into trunk in another day or so.

Dave