[squeak-dev] Morph doesn't paint on every tick?

Taeumel, Marcel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Dec 28 09:13:50 UTC 2017

Hi Lou,

you do not have to worry about re-drawing if you combine morphs only to create your application. That is, you write code that creates and configures line morphs, string morphs, rectangle morphs, and so on. If, however, you write your own #drawOn: methods, you have to tell Morphic about the side-effects that influence graphics via "self changed" or "self invalidRect: someRectangle". Yet, idiomatic use of Morphic means to employ custom #drawOn: methods _very_ scarcely.

In current Trunk, there are only 104 implementors of #drawOn: but 1051 senders of

#addMorph:, #addAllMorphs:, #addMorphBack:, #addMorphFront: combined.

Best,

Marcel