[squeak-dev] Promise >> wait

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 17 19:14:33 UTC 2017

Hi all,

The method Promise >> wait does nothing if the promise is rejected. This
means that the waiting party waits... forever.

I suggest changing this so that wait signals some kind of BrokenPromise
exception in the case that the promise is rejected.

Is this a good idea?

It's hard to see in the image anywhere the current behavior of wait
might be being relied upon.

There are no tests for Promise>>wait in the current KernelTests.

I've submitted two proposed changes to the Inbox:

 - Kernel-tonyg.1059.mcz alters Promise>>wait per the above
 - KernelTests-tonyg.318.mcz adds tests that expect the new behavior

Cheers,
  Tony