[squeak-dev] http://try.squeak.org/ is great but...

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Feb 21 18:06:19 UTC 2017

For a project I am involved in I am looking at alternatives for running
applications in the web browser to avoid having to install stuff on a
user's machine. So I took a look at  http://try.squeak.org/ and think it
is a fabulous resouce for our community. Unfortunately, I would not
point out this page to people I want to get interested in Squeak. The
reason for that is that they are likely to get frustrated by the
differences in the Squeak 2.2 GUI in relation to "normal" OSes.

The solution to this problem could be as simple as adding a paragraph
between "Above you see..." and "Other Squeak image" explaining how to do
stuff in Squeak 2.2 when you have one, two or three buttons on your
mouse. It is important to explain how to get a world menu and how to "do
it" and "print it". A child might play around until they find out these
things on their own but most adults will give up after just a few
seconds of things not working as they are used to.

An alternative would be a video explaining the same thing and embeded
right below the live SqueakJS.

I would not put a link to a nice tutorial in another page because we
want people to stay on the "try" page.

-- Jecel