[squeak-dev] Packaging

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Feb 27 12:00:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

here's a bullet point list:
 - macOS Sierra needs a special vm compared w/ previous ones
 - macOS Sierra makes it hard to _just run_ downloaded bundles/All-in-ones
 - all-in-ones look ugly since Yosemite due to new requiremens for code signing.
 - we have some indirection in the shell scripts for the linux variant
 - we still have this strange LD_LIBRARY_PATH dance that apparently fails on
   newest Ubuntu (see recent mail)
 - occasionally, we have people from BSDen who also want to use Squeak.

So, I'd propose:
 - Ditch the AOIs.
 - Deliver macOS bundles as DMG, not as Zip, so as to force people to
   move the bundle, so that macOS Sierra is happy to run stuff.
In the long run:
 - Provide deb's and rpm's

Best regards
	-Tobias