[squeak-dev] When did it become a good idea for selected text to be enclosed by () instead of replaced by 9 ?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 28 03:02:19 UTC 2017

In trying to see if anything had changed re WaveEditor etc I updated an image to update 16963. When I went to save this image a Squeak5.1-16963… I selected the last thre digits of the prior name (Squeak5.1-16549…) intending to type 963. Imagine my surprise - nay, alarm! - when I got ‘Squeak5.1-16(963) instead.

Oh my, I said to myself, what has Pooh done now.

As best I can work out this is a result of the change in TextEditor>enclose: that added ‘9’ some time ago (and which did not affect me since I normally turn off the annoying enclose stuff in preferences) combined with a more recent change to TextEditor>dispatchOnKeyboardEvent: wherein a use of TextEditor>enclose: was added near the end.

I see two obviously related Preferences for enclosing text. I see this as a dangerous thing, because multiple preferences interacting on the same issue can cause chaos, not to say confusion. And every time a preference is added it is yet another sheaf of potential problems to test.

So, yes, I can turn it off easily enough. But how could it ever be unsurprising to a user to get a(bc)d instead of the expected a9d ?

tim
Useful random insult:- Fell out of the family tree.