[squeak-dev] Backward image and VM compatibility

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 6 23:58:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 09:55:28AM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 03:19:33PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 4:04 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Since my reply above from last month, the interpreter VM has been updated
> > > based
> > > on logic borrowed from the SqueakJS VM, and it can now run images back to
> > > Squeak 1.13 and up to Squeak 4.6. The caveats are that you have to compile
> > > it yourself (see above) and it has only been tested on Linux.
> > >

> > Awesome!
> >

> > > "PluckedSound backFugue play" now works nicely in Squeak 1.13 on Ubuntu, so
> > > that is an encouraging sign.
> > >

> > When I try this in SqueakJS the sound seems very high-pitched. Is this the
> > case in your VM, too? Maybe it used a different sample rate back then?
> >

> The pitch and durations sound the same to me. I tried running the fugue on
> a 1.13 image and a 4.6 image at the same time. It produces an audio experience
> that Bach could never have anticipated, but the pitches are the same and the
> dueling Squeaks end their performances at about the same time.
>
> This is Linux pulse audio on a laptop with tiny speakers.

Bert,

I have to apologize, the information I gave you above is wrong. I was running
the bachFugue on a Squeak 1.31 image, not a Squeak 1.13u image.

I confirm your high pitch symptoms for Squeak 1.13u on SqueakJS, but I am not
able to test 1.13u on the interpreter VM. It runs and browsers work, but I
cannot evaluate an expression in a workspace. This seems to be the case for
images earlier than Squeak 1.31 so something is still broken for the interpreter
VM for Squeak 1.23 and earlier. The issue seems to be related to something that
changed between Squeak 1.23 and Squeak 1.31.

Sound issues aside, if you want to do any serious work on a Squeak 1.13u image
I still recommend using SqueakJS :-)

Sorry for the misinformation.

Dave