[squeak-dev] Backward image and VM compatibility

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jan 10 10:59:18 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 12:58 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> I confirm your high pitch symptoms for Squeak 1.13u on SqueakJS, but I am
> not
> able to test 1.13u on the interpreter VM. It runs and browsers work, but I
> cannot evaluate an expression in a workspace. This seems to be the case for
> images earlier than Squeak 1.31 so something is still broken for the
> interpreter
> VM for Squeak 1.23 and earlier. The issue seems to be related to something
> that
> changed between Squeak 1.23 and Squeak 1.31.
>
> Sound issues aside, if you want to do any serious work on a Squeak 1.13u
> image
> I still recommend using SqueakJS :-)

Some of the early images are missing UnixFileDirectory so SqueakJS has a
mode for emulating Mac file names:
https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/SqueakJS/search?q=emulateMac

But "1.13u" should be one of Ian's images which include this class so I'm
not so sure what changed between that and 1.31 ...

- Bert -