[squeak-dev] Etoys in 2017?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jan 29 17:30:35 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> In 2016 Etoys was merged back into the trunk image.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6419
>
> How do I open an Etoys project in the current 6.0a development image?

You simply drop it in. E.g. download this project
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/Content/ExampleEtoys/CarAndPen.014.pr

> What is the status of it currently? Is it ready for limited use?

The trunk image is ready for experimenting, but not for use with students.
Tim Felgentreff built an image based on trunk that they actually used for
an online course at HPI in Potsdam:

https://open.hpi.de/courses/etoys2016/

That image contains quite a few hacks, including one that makes it use
German by default. You can download it here:

https://open.hpi.de/files/4d6e04cd-d3fc-4c73-865a-571cd4ef27e8

You could help by porting some stuff from that image to trunk. I imagine
having an "Etoys" entry in the "open" menu that would create a new morphic
project and set up the preferences suitable for Etoys. That would it make
way easier to experiment and fix stuff that is still broken.

- Bert -