[squeak-dev] Improving formatting [was: [Pharo-dev] Big claps for Epicea (small request!)]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 21:23:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier <

> format before diff is in the top 5 of my most hated default.
> As an author, I try to write short methods and adhere to a standard format
> (Kent Beck like).
>
> But I want the freedom to use derogation when the format helps
> comprehension.
> If I did the effort of using a special formatting, the last thing that I
> want is a "smart" tool that undo my work.
> The best time to format code is when we accept it, and only if there is a
> quick way to undo/bypass if we don't like it.
>
> The formatter is dumb.
> Let's illustrate it with literals among other things.
>
> I might want to write 16rBADA55, but I'm sure i never want to read
> 12245589, it makes no sense ;)
> (hey, this is a real example you can find in VMMaker sources, not just the
> production of my ill brain).

I'd love to see literal nodes in the compilers be intelligent enough to
know what base a literal number was in.  It might be as simple as
maintaining the literal characters that make up a token and printing using
those, perhaps only if the token is a member of a particular set of classes.

And remember this applies to numeric literals in Array and ByteArray
literals too.

> And if I make an effort to format a character encoding table on several
> lines to have it readable
>    #(
>       line1
>       line2
>       lineN ).
> I'm pretty sure I never want to diff a single line with about 1024
> columns...

Th above approach might also handle this case well, although I wonder about
comments.

--
best, Eliot