[squeak-dev] Can a running Squeak program look at a Squeak image file and know if it is a good image?

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Wed Jul 26 21:54:39 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 12:58:03 -0700, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>> On 25-07-2017, at 1:21 PM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if a checksum would work as I don't know what the current program would be able to
>> compare the checksum to.  Unless I were able to append it to the end of the file or something
>> like that.
>
>That’s partly why I would suggest trying a zip file with the image file and a checksum (plus possibly other  data?) in it. If the zip file doesn’t get transmitted properly it shouldn’t open, giving one clue of failure. I if does, you read the expected checksum and unzip the putative image file to compare it with.

Adding the checksum in a small file in the zip file could be worth it.

>I’m still inclined to think that private update stream approach would be easier to live with.

I'm not sure as to exactly what you are suggesting here but don't forget the program is running
on a Raspberry Pi that may not be connected to the internet.  The user is expected to obtain a
new image onto some other computer and then upload it to the Raspberry Pi via the programs
Seaside web interface.

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda