[squeak-dev] Environment changes in the Inbox

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:03:40 UTC 2017

On 3/22/17, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jakob,
>
>> On Mar 22, 2017, at 5:36 AM, Jakob Reschke <jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> In case somebody wonders what the difference between `Environment
>> withName:` and `Environment named:` is: there is a class pool variable
>> named 'Instances' in Environment. #named: registers the new instance
>> there, #withName: does not.

Thanks, Jakob,  for the note about this important distinction. And for
the screen shot which shows how the Pharo FileSystem may be loaded.

>> It shouldn't make a difference for loading a
>> version like above, though.
>
>     is this difference useful?  What purposes do unregistered environments
> satisfy?  Isn't it just a way of loosing my code without realizing it?

Environment withName: 'theNameOfMyEnvironment'  is used in EnvironmentTest.

Maybe we should have method comments which emphasize this distinction.

And what is the proper way of 'unregistering' an environment?

For the test cases it is just

tearDown
	env destroy.
	env := nil

For the case done with
     Environment named: 'myEnvironment'

I just see

Environment >>
destroy

	self allClasses do: [:ea | ea removeFromSystem].
	declarations keys do: [:ea | self unbind: ea].
	policies do: [:ea | ea removeObserver: self].
	observers do: [:ea | ea stopObserving: self].

Is this all I have to do or do I need to do something more to
unregister an environment?

--Hannes