[squeak-dev] Squeak 6 kernel changes, ContextPart+MethodContext -> Context

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 18:28:20 UTC 2017

Hi All,

    another change planned for Squeak 6 is eliminating ContextPart &
MethodContext in favor of Context.  In reviewing the (very few) changes
necessary I came across the following:

MethodContext>>printString
"Answer an emphasized string in case of a breakpoint method"

^(self method notNil and: [self method hasBreakpoint])
ifTrue:[(super printString , ' [break]') asText allBold]
ifFalse:[super printString]

Seriously?  I don't object to modifying [Method]Conext>>printOn: to include
[break] but having printString answer a text seems completely broken to me,
and overriding printString is a hack; printOn: being the operative method
for producing self-descriptions.  Should we nuke it and add [break] to
printOn:? Or...?

best, Eliot