[squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] FileTree/Iceberg and SSDs, change the file format

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:00:45 UTC 2017

Hi Subbu,

> On May 21, 2017, at 11:26 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 21 May 2017 11:34 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> As part of his work on Cypress 2.0 Martin McClure is planning on
>> supporting a file per class disk format in addition to the file per
>> method format and possibly a file per package format.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether Martin is at the point where he is ready to share
>> his plans, but this is a problem that is being worked on and when Martin
>> is ready for feedback he'll publish his spec.
>
> Is it possible to build a file responder right into Pharo and expose packages through WebDAV or FUSE or sshfs service? Then the contents can go directly from RAM (pharo) to RAM (repo server or git) without going through slow disk filesystem.

I should say that there's a poor implementation ration for Squeak; poor because it uses the C binding.  The right way is to go directly over sockets.  This provides efficiency, flexibility and some degree of concurrency; all of which are lacking when programming against the C binding.

One could do so much with this other than merely an elegant interface to a vcs.  As my friend David Simmons points out, the major benefit of Docker is being able to configure (and hence version) an os virtual machine through the host file system, instead of having to start up the os virtual machine and configure within it and its own file system.  A FUSE interface for Pharo/Squeak/Cuis (I'm going to start calling this triad Cusp, Cuis union Squeak & Pharo) would allow non-Smalltalker dev ops people to configure (or monitor, or...) a Cusp image as if it were done familiar native tool.