[squeak-dev] [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] ParrotTalk release/design change considerations

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Nov 3 04:04:00 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 4:06 AM, henry <henry at callistohouse.club> wrote:

> I have a question about my derivation of a MAC key. It is very complicated
> and I am considering ways to simplify for use by potential language
> implementations. Here is the current derivation in Squeak/Pharo. Should I
> just use the sharedKey as the SHA1HMAC key or some simplified hash of the
> sharedKey, without all the pad hashings I am doing? What do you think? I
> want to hear from you.

Hi Henry,

I'd guess not many people here are *really* competent enough in crypto to
confidently advise you.  I know I'm not.  I only know enough to know crypto
is *hard*.
* https://www.happybearsoftware.com/you-are-dangerously-bad-
at-cryptography.html
* https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/04/schneiers_law.html
* https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/1997/01/why_cryptography_is.html

I hope that doesn't discourage you, and I'm interested to hear a more
useful reply from anyone else.
cheers -ben

P.S. I just bumped into what looks like an interesting intellectual
exercise...
http://cryptopals.com/