[squeak-dev] More pluggable dialog fun (was Re: FileChooser/SaverDialog)

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:18:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 06-11-2017, at 12:12 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > If a dialog asks you for a URL and that thing is in a workspace window
> nearby, it should be possible to copy that to the clipboard w/o having to
> close the dialog. Modally exclusive dialogs wouldn't allow that.
>
> I think that argues for a different level of modal, one based on the
> originating window/application, and yes it would be very useful. How could
> we do that?
>
> Could it be as simple as locking the originating window so it gets no
> events passed to it? A quick test by inspecting a random browser and
> locking it suggests it might be a good starting point.

Maybe the 'model dialog' is instead always on top of the calling outer most
morph that isn't the world (or project)?

Or make modal be 'always on top' in Squeak?  The other windows are still
active - you can't can't hide the model morph.  Or a slight variation -
always on top, but tied to the calling morph.  If the calling morph is a
system window that could be minimized, it would also minimize the modal
morph; similar with un-minimize.  As long as the modal isn't minimized, it
is on top, too.

-cbc