[squeak-dev] Fun with Animations

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Nov 18 21:34:30 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 02:22:41PM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi, there.
>
> I just updated my Animations framework to support composite animations:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations [https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Here are some examples using 1000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8 [https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8]
> https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag [https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag]
>
> ...gets kind of slow with 10000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6 [https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6]
>
> Use Squeak 5.1 or 6.0alpha (trunk). Works in 4.5, 4.6, and 5.0, too:
> https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations [https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Best,
> Marcel

That looks quite good. I remember doing some work with Graphviz and Connectors
maybe about 10-15 years ago to visualize a manufacturing product flow, and the
morphic displays would start bogging down as the model got larger. From your gifs,
I expect that much larger graphic visualizations are now feasible.

Dave