[squeak-dev] Unicode method returns "?"

John-Reed Maffeo jrmaffeo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 00:38:28 UTC 2017

The  problem I am trying to debug occurs in the method #unescapeUnicode
while parsing data from a JSON stream at a web address using the JSON
package tonyg.39. I have decomposed the problem to a repeatable test case:

Unicode value: (Integer readFrom: '2019' readStream base: 16)
>> I expect to see a right single quote mark, but a question mark is
returned. I have to tried to debug this statement, but I don't understand
the code. I also get question marks when I use other decimal numbers: 2000
to: 2030 do:[ :each | Transcript show: (Unicode charFromUnicode: each)]

My work around is to scan results for question marks and replace them.

I get the same results in 64 and 32 bit images.

Squeak5.1
latest update: #16549
Current Change Set: WorkSpace
Image format 68021 (64 bit)