[squeak-dev] FileList2>listForPattern(s): and MessageSend abuse

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:47:24 UTC 2017

I note that most references to FileList are for registering/unregistering a
specific tool as a service for a specific fileType...
So the goal is to make file services modular/pluggable/extendable.
What I don't understand is that FileList seems to duplicate FileServices
code (see for example implementors of #registerFileReader)...
And that there is a random mixture of usage:

    ChangeList class>>initialize
        FileList registerFileReader: self

    ChangeSet class>>initialize
        "ChangeSet initialize"
        AllChangeSets == nil ifTrue:
            [AllChangeSets := OrderedCollection new].
        self gatherChangeSets.
        FileServices registerFileReader: self.

What do you suggest instead? Who should survive?

P.S.: it seems that we abused a bit of living system metaphor.
It's like we wanted to create diversity in order to multiply the chances of
squeak to survive ;)
Unfortunately, natural selection of code doesn't obey fair rules:
- code tends to bloat and complexify over years
  that could be like our cells that gradually degenerate...
- but the worse code (the most complex) tend to survive longer.
  this is because it becomes more and more complex to change it without
breaking features.
  and breaking features is frowned upon...

In biology, the immune system also help eliminating own degenerated cells.
I don't see anything equivalent in Squeak.
So the whole organism is in danger if we don't help the bad cells to die ;)