[squeak-dev] The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Morphic-tpr.196.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:43:58 UTC 2017

People will think #buildWith: is a hook method, are you saying it is
now?  I don't think you are, but as it was even put into the
'ToolBuilder-Morphic-opening' category, people will think it is (!), and I
can see that being incredibly confusing for them trying to understand
how the system is intended to be programmed.

This shifting of the responsibility for "building" from the
ToolBuilder to Morph's requires a great more consideration than
"betcha can't prove I broke it...."    This was an emotional reaction
to a type-check, not a refactoring.  What about sending the right
clues to people reading the code?  What about proper delegation of
responsibility?  What about good API design?

Please don't take this personally Tim, but it tends to be better to
take your frustrations with the code to your peers on the list first
(as you sometimes do, thank you) than publish these same-day,
reactionary commits.