[squeak-dev] Ideas for web hosting for squeak.org?

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Oct 15 13:06:09 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Stephan's pointer to the eugdpr.org website.  I've spent some
> time with this and have some comments below.
>
> First, the GDPR will apply if we let EU residents go to the Squeak
> websites.  Given the popularity of Squeak in the EU that means GDPR
> regardless of where we physically host it.
>
> Second I think we're going to run into a computer geek view of the world
> not agreeing with the EU view of the world.  Ie, you sent an email to a
> public mailing list with your full contact info that is archived forever.
> What words in that last sentence did you not understand?
>

> The things I think we have to comply with are:
>
> 1.  Consent.  The users have to know what they are giving us.  Cookie
> notifications on the main webpage and some sort of page that describes what
> we log for access like IP addresses, etc.  We also have to make clear how
> long info is stored.  So if the webserver keeps that last 30 days of IP
> address logs than that has to be clear.  We also have an age problem.  We
> will need parental consent if there are users under 16.  For the wiki,
> mailing lists etc we need to be clear what additional info is gathered.
> This is probably the easy one.
>
> 2.  Breach notification, Right to Access, and Right to be forgotten are
> going to be harder.
>
> The places where we collect more personal info than just IP address are
> for the Wiki, the Mailing lists, and the bug tracker.  In all three cases
> we would need to have enough info that:
>
> 1.  For breach notification we can actually notify folks.  We would need
> to collect email addresses in all cases for that to work.

Increasing the amount of personal data held by collecting additional email
address solely to advise of a breach seems counter productive to the GDPR's
spirit of data minimisation.

I can't imagine that normal traffic to public mail lists could be construed
to pose "high risk to the rights and freedoms of natural persons". So 34.1
 [1] might not apply, and a public mail list announcement may suffice
rather than a personalise notice.

[1] https://gdpr-info.eu/art-34-gdpr/

> 2.  For right to access we would have to be able to show ALL the info
> we've kept on a particular user.  All posts to the email lists, all swiki
> entries, etc.

This information is already publicly available.  Don't subjects implicitly
already have "access" ?

> 3.  And for right to be forgotten we would have to allow users to delete
> ALL the data we've captured.  All swiki entries, all archived email, etc.
> This is probably the hardest.

Balancing this is the "right to freedom of expression and information,
including processing for journalistic purposes" [2] and "archiving purposes
in the public interest" [3].

[2] https://gdpr-info.eu/art-85-gdpr/
[3] https://gdpr-info.eu/art-89-gdpr/

cheers -ben (ianal)