[squeak-dev] Changes to Browser building/opening

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Oct 21 19:07:15 UTC 2017

Thanks for taking a look at this so quickly Dave.

In fact you were *so* quick that you got the slightly broken changeset I replaced within a few minutes! That removed the definitely spurious#modalFileSelectorForPattern: method which was a left-over from the work I was originally doing for the save-as stuff. I also cleaned out a few no-longer used methods.

The comments about confusion have clearly served their purpose in alerting reviewers to stuff I didn’t resolve. It’s nice to know they got read :-)  The follow up must be to actually do a better commenting job on the systemnavigation/toolset/standardtoolset/systembrowser/uimanager side.

I’m also interested in suggestions for updating the BrowserTest>>#testBuildMessageCategoryBrowserEditString method to do something meaningful with the partial-edit text; right now the browser opens and sort of sticks there because of the ‘do you want to cancel’ dialogue. And indeed, does the reinstated partial-edit stuff actually do what we want? It’s been quite a while since it worked and I had completely forgotten about it.

As a follow up on the untested MVC effects, I have confusing news. A fully updated image lets me open an MVC project and make browsers etc, although they look a bit odd with some parts coloured and some monochrome. I get quite a lot of uncleared gribbleys on the display when moving them. Also my first attempt to load my changes from within the MVC project (just in case) was stymied by a very broken FileList that completely messed up trying to navigate directories. Eventually I was able to open a file view on my changes. An attempt to file it in was problematic because the menu looks like this -

It might take a moment to spot that the ‘more…’ is not at the bottom and clicking on the ‘filein entire file’ crashes because the index in to the menu was 21 (I think - way greater than the number of elements anyway) !
Eventually I selected the entire text and used the ‘filein selection’, which loaded the code ok. Opening a browser or workspace seemed fine at this point, so that implies my changes didn’t break anything directly involved.  Still trying to work out what might be wrong.

tim
Science is imagination equipped with grappling hooks.