[squeak-dev] sudo apt-get install NuScratch fails in 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 23 17:23:31 UTC 2017

> On 23-10-2017, at 8:26 AM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:

>  I tried:
>
> sudo pigpiod
>
> just to see what would happen.  The response was:
>
> 2017-10-23 10:58:46 initInitialise: Can't lock /var/run/pigpio.pid
> Can't initialise pigpio library
>
> Does that tell us anything?

That seems to me to confirm that pigpio was installed and that something else is stopping it… which is pretty much where my ‘expertise’ in linux runs out.

A bit of digging on the Pi forums (which you really ought to belong to and read with your morning coffee every day)) suggests that one has to have done
`sudo systemctl enable pigpiod `
but I was under the impression that that is for starting the daemon as a service automatically. I see several places where people talk about installing pigpio on lite and they all seemed to just use the `sudo apt-get install pigpio` thing.

It would be worth signing up to the Pi forums (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/) and looking through stuff there, maybe even asking in the Raspbian forum if you can’t spot anything.

The key site for pigpio is http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/pigpiod.html and joan is generally very helpful if you email. It might be worth redoing the install from source, which is explained on her site.

tim
Science is imagination equipped with grappling hooks.