[squeak-dev] How should one implement a custom window color for a custom window?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Sep 16 00:00:03 UTC 2017

A couple of months back Eliot asked about this and I have a few minutes to spend to maybe fix it.

I notice that Model>windowColorToUse sends #customWindowColor, which is not implemented. Which would seemingly lead us to expect a debugger but I see some very… interesting code in UserInterfaceTheme where a dNU: is caught and Very Odd Things are done. Ten out of ten for creative and intriguing code, minus several million for completely obscured intent.

At the least it would be nice to have an implementation *somewhere* that explains what is being done, why, and maybe even how we can move to a simpler scheme.

Related things I noticed -
EToys-Squeakland adds Object, StringHolder & TranscriptStream class > windowColorSpecification which seem to be in need of removal.
PreferencesPanel class>windowColorSpecification is seemingly in need of the chop
WindowColorRegistry, the only sender of windowColorSpecification, is in the deprecated categories, though yes, i nthe 5.1 deprecation pile so maybe is has to stay for now.

tim
Strange OpCodes: WK: Write to Keyboard