[squeak-dev] How should one implement a custom window color for a custom window?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Sep 18 07:13:32 UTC 2017

Hi Stef,

such fragility should usually be discovered quickly by the progarmmer that tries something like this. So, this is not considered an issue for bigger projects. Since Squeak is an interactive environment, the feedback loop is very short in this regard.

As for your GC concerns: Can you construct a more elaborate example? If your environment experiences a severe memory issue, you should just try to clean-up the system like in the release process:

UserInterfaceTheme cleanUp: true.

or

Smalltalk cleanUp: true.

Since the "cope" instVar is local to a specific instance of UserInterfaceTheme, programmers can easily fix any issues there. One could also add a test case for that to improve usability. :)

Best,
Marcel