[squeak-dev] UserInterfaceTheme testing & TestRunner

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Sep 26 07:42:17 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

you can also overwrite #defaultTimeOut in UserInterfaceThemeTest and make use of PreferenceWizardMorph >> #hasLowPerformance, whose implementation we might improve in the future.

Am 26.09.2017 01:44:23 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 02:43:28PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I tried running the tests on UserInterfaceThem to check I hadn???t broken too much and as is so often the case on slower machines some of the tests timed out. It???s not a simply replicatable thing either, with each run producing different tests that ???fail??? this way.
> So the obvious thing to day was
> a) add a timeout: pragma to the tests that seem to be slow
> b) add an option to profile an individual test
> While running these to play with them I managed to occasionally lock up the input process, which I???d make a wild guess might be something to do with the debugging etc in the testrunner code. It???s not reliable enough to get a good handle on it. It did, however manage to completely lock up the Pi on one occasion - not merely Squeak but the entire Pi. Attempts to login remotely had no effect. Naughty, naughty somewhere in the stack.
> Whilst writing this little extension I noticed some code of a form I???m not keen on. Perhaps there is a good solid reason for it to be like this that I???m unaware of -
> runFailures
> self result instVarNamed: 'failures' put: Set new.
> self runSuite: self suiteFailures.
> (similar in runErrors)
> There???s not often a good reason to use #instVarNamed:put: and it???s sufficiently odd that I have to wonder if there is a hidden subtlety making it appropriate.

I am going to take a wild guess at this one, just to see if I can get
it right. My theory is that classes such as TestResult in the underlying
test framework are shared across Smalltalk dialects, so the author of
the test runner UI wanted to avoid touching those classes. There is no
TestResult>>failures: accessor, and rather than add the accessor, the UI
author (lr) elected to just poke the value in using #instVarNamed:put:


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/attachments/20170926/9fcc7be1/attachment.html>

More information about the Squeak-dev mailing list