[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.1408.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 01:13:26 UTC 2018

Hi David,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:30 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Unfortunately, we have no way of marking globals as "deprecated", but
> if we had such a thing, I would say the World is deprecated but retained
> for convenience.

Hmmm, that's really interesting. In VisualWorks, variable bindings are not
dereferenced directly, but instead sent value and value:.  This makes it
possible to deprecate globals.  I'll put making a modification to the VM on
the list which would be something like implementing a special kind of
lookup cache for dereferencing bindings that would become proper sends for
"exotic" kinds of binding.  Then we could add DeprecatedBinding and one
would be able, as one should, to deprecate bindings.

best, Eliot