[squeak-dev] Improvements to wiki.squeak.org

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Apr 5 17:47:15 UTC 2018

> On 05-04-2018, at 10:13 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> wiki.squeak.org/squeak is an excellent resource for Squeakers. However, it's interface is a bit dated and could do with some improvements.

I agree that the UI is a bit blah (and your suggestions are interesting) but far more worrying is the out of date state of so many pages.  Every now and then I go on a minor rampage to mark obviously obsolete pages, delete clearly ridiculous one, recycle those pages, update stuff where I know what can be improved and so on. We suffer from a colossal swathe of effectively empty pages generated by some long-gone process/project that appeared to consider that dumping class name as page and (maybe) sticking class comments in was a good idea. There are strings of pages forming the promising beginnings of tutorials that simply fade out to.........{crickets}

Almost anyone can help to clean up the swiki. Pick some page from the front page, follow it down the rabbit-hole a bit, look at the pages that link to a duff page, clean them up a bit, recycle bad pages, rewrite poorly thought out explanations, maybe replace ancient screenshots with ones taken from a current Squeak.  (as an example, take a look at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3480 - lots of very out of date examples there). Even simple things like organising into proper lists and editing text into proper paragraphs can help a lot in readability. You don't need to be a great expert to provide a valuable service here - but I bet that spending some time in the swiki will start to make you an expert, even if it's only by making you look up the real state of something!

If everyone on the squeak-dev list edited a swiki page once a week we'd very quickly see big improvements.

tim
I'm so skeptical that I'm not sure I'm really a skeptic