[squeak-dev] Apple starting to alert users that it will end 32-bit app support on the Mac

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Apr 12 20:45:16 UTC 2018

Actually it is a 64bit compiled application that works with 32bit images,
there was also a 64bit application that works with 64bit images. However
was Eliot points out the format of a 64bit image is different because it
has other immediate types, and different context structures. The original
64bit image type didn't have any of those changes.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> On 12 April 2018 at 16:31, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On 12.04.2018, at 16:05, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bert,
>>

>> On Apr 12, 2018, at 6:03 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> If that's indeed the case we need to make a 64 bit VM for 32 bit images.
>> I think this should be just a matter of picking the right compiler options.
>>

>> How so?  AFAIA it is not.  It means, for example, changing every memory
>> access for an instance variable from 64 to 32 bits.  It is non-trivial.
>>

>> But wasn't that done once already?
>>
>> I see Squeak 5.7.4.1 (John Macintosh did it I think).
>> Wich advertises itself as
>>
>> and worked very well. Not saying every bits are there for the present
>> (spur etc)
>> but at least, we have been there already at least once…
>>

> ​Yep. Its just the 32 bit VM compiled on a 64 bit host. This worked
> without big problems on the interpreter. I don't know what additional
> constraints are imposed by Cog / Spur, but I thought at least for intel,
> the 32 bit instruction set was a strict subset of x64, so there should be
> no big problems.
>
> - Bert -​

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd
https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk