[squeak-dev] Apple starting to alert users that it will end 32-bit app support on the Mac

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 00:59:56 UTC 2018

Eliot,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018, 5:15 PM Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bert, Hi David,
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12 April 2018 at 22:45, John McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Actually it is a 64bit compiled application that works with 32bit
>>> images, there was also a 64bit application that works with 64bit images.
>>> However was Eliot points out the format of a 64bit image is different
>>> because it has other immediate types, and different context structures. The
>>> original 64bit image type didn't have any of those changes.
>>>

> +1
>
> ​The Spur image, yes.
>>
>> But we're only talking about running a 32 bit image on a 64 bit VM.
>> Here's a refresher on the terminology:
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html​

This page doesn't appear to have been touched since 2007.  Though it would
be nice if someone could do something similar to this page as was done to
wiki.squeak.org/squeak/560

(For the record, I do still occasionally fire up the legacy VMs including
the 64-bit version.  But don't worry, I'm not pining for the good old days
when VMs ran at a more leisurely pace... It's a compatibility thing :-)