[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Apple starting to alert users that it will end 32-bit app support on the Mac

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Apr 13 01:23:36 UTC 2018

On 13 April 2018 at 07:00, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda wrote on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:10:38 -0700
> > That's why for me by far the simplest thing is to convert.
>
> Computers have become a hundred times faster since Squeak first came out
> and while disks are also faster the difference is a lot less dramatic.

Same starting point, alternative path.
Just brainstorming...

Consider that the very old 32-bit Images worked worked on
much slower hardware, and maybe the StackInterpreter would
provide sufficient performance on today's hardware, and more so into the
future.
How hard would it be to compile a 32-bit StackInterpreter and 64-bit Spur
together into the same VM?
This would avoid needing to convert, and converting back when the saved
Image
is opened back on a original 32-bit system.

Performance of recent 32-bit Images may be problematic, but less so into
the future.
Still this might not be much of a problem for short-time adhoc review of
old Images.

cheers -ben