[squeak-dev] tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 25 17:15:49 UTC 2018

> On 24-04-2018, at 10:38 PM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Ooops... kind of a paradox I stumbled upon here. :-D Well, you know what I mean...^^

Yup.

It's just another occasion to mumble my long-running rant objecting to bad programming style. If we had private methods then defaulting to creating setter/getters might well make sense, so long as they were private. Indeed, you could even make the compiler create them as part of generating a class - or even allow the inverse so that adding such a method automagically added the instvar to the class.

As it is, the unthinking use of getter/setters is like handing sweating C programmers a syringe loaded with BadCodium and assuring them it feels great.

tim
Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.