[squeak-dev] ByteArray>>at:put:

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 26 11:29:23 UTC 2018

On 26 April 2018 at 11:28, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> I cannot put a ByteString into a ByteArray via a WriteStream anymore:
>
> | s |
> s := WriteStream on: ByteArray new.
> s nextPutAll: 'hello'.
>
> You need to do:
>
> | s |
> s := WriteStream on: ByteArray new.
> s nextPutAll: 'hello' asByteArray.
>
> This breaks code.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

​Tech​nically this is an expected error - you simply cannot put Characters
(the elements of a String) into a ByteArray. However, for convenience we do
support copying Strings into ByteArrays in various places, including
WriteStream>>nextPutAll:.

However, the test in WriteStream>>nextPutAll: is too strict. It needs to be
"collection class isBits" instead of "collection isString". This makes the
code actually match its comment:

WriteStream>>nextPutAll: aCollection

| newEnd |
(collection class == aCollection class
or: [ collection class isBits
and: [ aCollection isString
and: [ collection class format = aCollection class format ] ] ]) "Let
Strings with the same field size as collection take the quick route too."
ifFalse: [ ^ super nextPutAll: aCollection ].

newEnd := position + aCollection size.
newEnd > writeLimit ifTrue:
[self growTo: newEnd + 10].

collection replaceFrom: position+1 to: newEnd  with: aCollection
startingAt: 1.
position := newEnd.
^aCollection​

With that change your example works. I think this was the original intent
of the code.

Fixed in Collections-bf.787

- Bert -