[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] How to yellow click with two buttons without changing mouse settings?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Apr 26 16:46:04 UTC 2018

> On 26-04-2018, at 12:09 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
> the VM does deliver "the rawest data possible" for most events. For mouse-wheel events, we lose the scroll-delta (or acceleration), though. And left/right wheeling from the MightyMouse. :-)

Take a look at ioProcessEvents() and related code and tell me that with a straight face! We do huge amounts of mangling of incoming events before queuing them up for the image to read. If we were passing raw stuff to the image it would be all in the image, with OS specific classes to do the work. It can be done - has been done - but it isn't trivial. The earliest Squeaks had a very narrow channel to the VM and we had to do a great deal of messing around to get it to work for non-Mac systems, a lot of which we really ought not have done. But that was 20 years ago; the sad part is how little of that we've improved.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SDP: Search and Destroy Pointer