[squeak-dev] Interop with Squeak forks

Keith keithy at consultant.com
Thu Aug 2 03:08:46 UTC 2018

Hello Sean,

Sean wrote:
> My dream for a long time was for Squeak and Pharo to reunite, with
> Pharo as a lean, mean base system, and Squeak implementing/porting all
> the amazing projects on top, like some of the ones I listed above. I
> realise that this is extremely unlikely especially for political
> reasons, but since you asked! ;-)

Keith here, I read your comments on the survey with interest and a
little sadness, since this need to promote interoperability between
squeak forks was identified way back in the Pharo 1.0 days. I had
previously asserted that it was the squeak team’s responsibility, as
the parent of several children to inspire unification and to adopt a
development approach that would automatically help being things together
more.

Back then I felt this was needed particularly for those of us who were
interested in developing libraries or applications that would be useful
to all branches. I am slowly looking through my old code (squeak
3.9-4.0) era, so see what can be resuscitated . On my travels I found a
couple of my old videos from 2010.

This video shows off “grow”, a command line tool for invoking and
building images based on the different forks. I’ll see if it still
works!

https://vimeo.com/10164721

This second video shows off Sake-Packages.

https://vimeo.com/5434330

Looking back and reading the old Sake docs I am so impressed!

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5953

The way forward for interoperability is a suite of simple but powerful
tools that are independent of GUI and of each fork. I had developed a
few, and will see about breathing some new life into them over the next
couple of weeks.

regards to all

Keith