[squeak-dev] Documentation

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Aug 17 22:57:19 UTC 2018

> On 17-08-2018, at 3:42 PM, Ken Causey <klcausey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/17/2018 4:40 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>>> On 17-08-2018, at 1:19 PM, Keith <keithy at consultant.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> where do we put documentation these days?
>
> While we are on this subject has anyone looked into adding documentation at the category and/or package level? As someone who is barely paying attention anymore but occasionally gets an itch to do some work in Squeak it is really difficult to figure out what is already on hand in an image at a high level, higher than per-class.

At the category level I don't think it makes a huge amount of sense since they're just organisational niceties. Packages - in the sense of loadable applications or library add-ons - should of course have documentation within the package file(s) that can be read from squeaksource/monticello/etc in order to let you decide whether to load it or not. Swiki pages are good for that too. And then include Help Browser content within the package so there is something in the image once loaded - which of course ought to point to any swiki or other online info. And we really ought to be able to use the platform mechanism for opening a browser at the referenced page.

tim
Strange OpCodes: CM: Circulate Memory