[squeak-dev] [Documentation] How do I use the PackageInfo class?

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:50:02 UTC 2018

Hello Chris

In the documentation thread you wrote that the PackageInfo mechanism
is not used properly.

I assume because people do not know how to do it and that >t is not
promoted enough

The wiki has a description of PackageInfo
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3329

It says what a package is (= a collection of classes plus methods in
categories marked with *theNameOfthePackage).

On 8/18/18, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've had PackageInfo for eons which I've subclassed in my own apps
> forever to override several documentative as well as functional
> methods in there.
> But there was never any interest (in fact,
> resistance!) in doing that in this community.

Probably years back. Now it seems to be different :-)

> Glad to see y'all finally
> opening up to the idea, but I see no reason to have a "PackageInfo"
> AND a "PackageModel".

So we need an example in the wiki how a subclass of PackageInfo should
look like and which methods it should contain.

Where it this information used then?

> But do we REALLY want to bloat image memory with a bunch of
> "documentation" that no one will ever read and will be out of date
> within one release?

Nobody talks of bloat here.

A very reasonable goal is to have a 100 word description of what the
package does or is/was supposed to do. This will include an URL.

Regards
Hannes