[squeak-dev] Proof-of-concept: moving Smalltalk code editing support into SmalltalkEditor

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:51:04 UTC 2018

> auto-enclose is one of those things that relates to how one types and the present circumstances of work. I find it utterly infuriating; Chris finds it essential. Being able to select some text and enclose it with my choice of delimiter is essential to me - but having the automatic doubling of a delimiter whether I actually need it or not is just a bad match for my usage.

It no longer "doubles" the closing parenthesis, so you can type
exactly the same (including the closing paren) and you'll get exactly
the same results -- just a single closing paren -- just as when its
off.

I understand it still may not suit you, but I just wanted to make sure
you knew that aspect was fixed a while back...

> It's a similar thing with the code styling. I really don't like automagic styling as done by Shout a great deal (but it's much less annoying now that Cog runs on Pi, since a non-trivial part of the irritation was the way it really slowed down the old VMs). I might like it more if it were also  doing some of the pretty-printing format regularisation BUT I really suspect that 'physically' moving your typing around as you go would be annoying.

Indeed!  When I change existing methods, I often type the new code up
against the left margin as fast as I can (no tabs and totally
unformatted) so I can easily _see_ which parts of the method I'm
changing.  Then before saving, I'll just use [Command+Shift+S] to
format the whole method in one shot.  I actually detest "autoIndent"
because it gets in the way of that and mostly just complexifies the
tabbing (sometimes you need [Tab], sometimes [Backspace], where's the
improvement?).

An alternative to this which may alleviate your performance concern
would be to add a preference something like, "Style Continuously",
which would do either all the time like now or only when you
pretty-print or save the method.

> Also, I'd probably like it a bit more if the styling cues were a little more visible to aging eyes.

Have you tried the Community Theme?  A lot of UI design thought went
into it.  If you don't like it, its easy to customize a theme for your
eyes.

> auto-indent actually seems to work ok for my usage but I imagine it might be something that could work with a styler to help keep formatting nice.

What I want is to be able to use Command+Shift+S on only the
*selected* code instead of the whole method.   It seemed like a simple
change (changeset attached) but unfortunately the compiler only
compiles whole chunks of code that include, for example, all the
variable definitions too, not just the partials code that was
selected.