[squeak-dev] FFI and macOS

JOHN SARKELA wiljo at mac.com
Sat Dec 15 16:10:55 UTC 2018

I’ve been fiddling about with FFI and have some macOS questions. Things on Linux work as expected. On macOS (Mojave) I am unable to resolve a dylib.

Questions:
1. Must the code be packaged as a bundle for FFI to find and load the code? If so, is there a standard method for wrapping the dylib?
2. Does the vm respect environment LD flags?
3. Must the library be in a location that is accessible to Squeak? If so, a simple sym link does not appear to work. Does the library have special requirements as to the location in the filesystem where it resides?
4. A simple c program can resolve and use the library via dl* calls. Does the vm use some other mechanism for finding and loading modules? (Yes, I have been lazy and not read the vm code.)

I would be most appreciative if someone could shine some light on this topic.

John Sarkela