[squeak-dev] Primitives 34-37 for LargeIntegers bit operations not in use?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 19:53:08 UTC 2018

> On Dec 30, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> Those primitives will fail unless the receiver, the argument and the result fit into 64 bits. The LargeIntegers plugin provides primitives without such limitation, so currently the latter is in use.

IMO the LargeIntegerPlugin (LIP) primitives should substitute for the 64 bit ones, but that’s probably something that should wait for a major release.

The numbered ones are a quick hack.  Now we have the LIP, along with Nicolas’ fast rewrite (internally they are accessed in 32-bit units), and my macrology to avoid push/popRememberedOop in Spur, we have something general, powerful, and efficient.  Has anyone looked at the relative performance of LIP and numbered prime for the 64-bit range?  If so, care to post some numbers?