[squeak-dev] ClockAndCalendarMorphs project on SqueakSource

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 16:41:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:48 AM, Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de>
wrote:

> I have been told that nobody uses the Monticello feature of
> dependencies among packages...
> The best way to specify dependencies seems to be Metacello at the moment.

Metacello is nice in this it gives very explicit information about
dependancies, and it works in many Smalltalk dialects (and is actively
maintained).  That said, it seems to be predominently driven and used in
Pharo, so documentation will likely have some bent towards that platform.
Here is a reasonable introduction:
http://blog.yuriy.tymch.uk/2013/10/dead-simple-intro-to-metacello.html
It is also worth noting that using Metacello will install that package into
your Squeak - it isn't there natively.  The easiest way to load it into
Squeak (that I've found) is to load a package managed by Metacello - it
bootstraps itself in before loading the package you want.

All that said, I don't use it when I can avoid it. I do like looking at the
dependencies, and then independently load them.  Obviously not all of us
feel that way.

The other option as Monticello Configurations, which is part of Squeak
already (and what underpins our Trunk mechanism, so it is guaranteed to be
working).

To use Monticello Configurations, open "Monticello Configurations" (which
is right next to Monticello Browser in the open (or apps or tools) menu).
Then, use the Add button to add the packages that you need to have loaded
to support ClockAndCalendarMorphs (in the order they should be loaded).
Make sure to add the package  ClockAndCalendarMorphs las as well.
Then, in the middle box, click and "add repository..." for the repositories
that you will need to load the packages from.  This should definitely
include your new repository.  It should also include the repository that
the other packages need to come from.  I don't think order is important
here.

Finally, save the configuration to your repository.

-cbc