[squeak-dev] [Newbies] Time to Vote!

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Sat Feb 3 00:34:07 UTC 2018

Hi Offray,

I'd be happy to add you to the voting list.  Let me know and I'll add you
for next year.

I agree with you.  Many years ago I used to be much more active (if you can
believe that).  My idea at the time was that we would actually have a
period of time for campaigning.  For a while, I started doing community
interviews for news.squeak.org.  I had tried also presenting questions, but
I got some feedback that my questions were too focused on what I wanted and
didn't represent the community at large.  At that point, I tried to
encourage the community to ask questions instead but that didn't work
either because nobody asked questions.  I'm was actually happy that
everyone that is running this year gave some indication of what they are
interested in doing and why they were running.  See
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6590 - Posts related to the Election
(chronological).

I can tell you that for the group of people we have running there are no
bad votes!  Everyone is terrific!  I could highlight some differences but
that won't really help because the community members were correct, I AM
BIASED.  :)

What I would recommend is getting on the voters' list.  Talk to your
friends and get to know the people that are active in the community.  You
might have to subscribe to Squeak-Dev or VM-Dev to get to know people
better.  Most of the candidates don't often post to the beginners' list.
The beginners' list has always had a soft spot in my heart. I was here from
the very beginning.  That is why I include it in my election emails.  Wow,
just looking the beginners' list started in May 2006[1], it's been 12
years!  Once you have a good idea of what the community needs, you could
ask questions!  Talk to the candidates. Your questions will probably be
helpful for others that didn't take the time to ask but might want to know
the answer too.

Do let us know If you have other suggestions on ways we can improve or
write me directly.  I will do whatever I can to help!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

[1]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/thread.html