[squeak-dev] Squeak People (was: Time to Vote!)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 4 01:01:01 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 06:01:22PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> Eliot,
>
> > ?? ?? Jeremy's thoughtful message below prompts me to suggest
> > that we add two pages to Squeak.org, one for the election and
> > another for members of the community to add mini bios with
> > optional links to more extensive information, similar to the Pharo
> > contributors list at??https://pharo.org/about.
>
> Squeak information has always been divided among different sites, like
> squeak.org, the swiki, squeaksource, the bug system, squeak news and
> there was one called Squeak People. The last one had mini bios (though
> the swiki does too) and a blog. It also implemented a "trust" system
> with the idea of using this to control the project after "Squeak
> Central" had gone away and before the Squeak Oversight Board was
> created.
>
> Eventually the site went away and though there was an overlap with what
> we still have I think it has left a major hole in our community
> resources.
>
> -- Jecel

I had forgotten about "Squeak people" but here is the link to a
swiki page about it:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/8

This is page number 8 on the swiki, so it must be of fairly ancient
provenance. IIRC there was also an actual web site for "squeak people"
but I do not remember any details.

For me it is interesting to follow a few of the links on this swiki page.
There is a listing of "Who's Where" that shows three people in Michigan,
USA. I am one of the three, but I have never met the other two, both
of whom apparently lived in the city of Ann Arbor at the time of the
"Squeak people" listings. I now live in Ann Arbor myself, but I still
have never met or spoken with any other Squeakers aside from other
members of the Squeak oversight board who I now know from our video
conference board meetings.

Dave