[squeak-dev] Trunk update works again (Re: Kernel-nice.1127 freezes image (was Another missing snapshot: SmallLand-ColorTheme-fbs.6))

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 17:36:10 UTC 2018

Hi Nicolas,

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 8:54 AM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot,
> the process you are proposing is not necessary.
> Bert modified mcm process so that changes are grouped, avoiding most load-order problems we had previously.
>
> The problem here was that I was working on a different feature requiring a mcm (I think due to a postscript or something like that).
> Normally, I update all the packages from the image version or the repository version when publishing an update map.
> But this time I didn't, I think because I experienced time-out when trying to do so...
> So I manually updated only the part I was working on (Kernel), thus the mistake...

I don't understand.  If the packages are loaded in the other order the code goes missing temporarily and the image can crash.  Update maps enforce the ordering and fix the problem.  Whatever grouping Bert has engineered is a good thing, but the only thing I can see that we have to guarantee ordering is update maps.

Bert?