[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-fn.1151.mcz

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Fri Feb 9 19:05:49 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018 06:47 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> We also have a pair of binary messages that already works: ~= or even ~~

This is actually an excellent point.

Perhaps the extra inefficiencies from the proposed new xor: definition
that Levente identified are acceptable, given that performance-critical
code can just use ~= or ~~?

Being able to accept "a xor: b" as well as "a xor: [b]" seems like a win
for consistency with the other spelled-out operators to me.

(We wouldn't need to change any existing usage, either, right? Since
true and false both understand #value?)

None of the senders in the trunk image are remotely
performance-sensitive, it seems to me, with the possible exception of a
use in detecting a word boundary in the regex engine.

Tony