[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-fn.1151.mcz

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:30:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones <
tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com> wrote:

> On 02/09/2018 06:47 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> > We also have a pair of binary messages that already works: ~= or even ~~
>
> This is actually an excellent point.
>
> Perhaps the extra inefficiencies from the proposed new xor: definition
> that Levente identified are acceptable, given that performance-critical
> code can just use ~= or ~~?
>
> Being able to accept "a xor: b" as well as "a xor: [b]" seems like a win
> for consistency with the other spelled-out operators to me.
>
> This was my original concern, too, but looking at Boolean, we have from
ancient times the method #eqv: which expects a boolean as an argument.
It also is just another way to spell out == .  Just like xor: is another,
more familiar way to say ~~ (which while truely the same, I would not have
thought of.  Oh well.)

As an aside, we should move Boolean>>#xor: out of category
"*Etoys-Squeakland-logical operations" and into just normal "logical
operations" like #& and #eqv: and #xor: in the other booleans.

Interesting that #and: and #or: are not there, either - why are they in
"controlling"?

-cbc